The ministry in Narva started in 1924. At first people met in the rented rooms. Only on 4 October 1933 Aleksander Kuum consecrated a room accommodating 150–180 people for worship services, located next to the Town Hall.

Narva suffered heavy destruction during World War II, which stopped the activity of Methodists there until 1965–1967 when the ministry was resumed. On 18 September 1965 the Lord’s Supper was celebrated in an apartment in Narva under the leadership of Johannes Lilleorg. The members of the Narva Methodist group belonged then to the Rakvere congregation. The Methodist congregation in Narva was officially reinaugurated on 12 February 1967. At that time the congregation of 12 members held services in the Baptist church at 2, Taime Street. On 14 January 1968 superintendent Aleksander Kuum ordained Kustav Roosaar a deacon, on whose initiative a house was purchased by the offerings of church members in spring 1969. The house located at 12, Roheline Street was consecrated by superintendent Kuum on 22 June 1969.

At the time of Peeter Piirisild, who was appointed a pastor of the Narva congregation by Hugo Oengo on 18 September 1977, this church building proved to be too small for the gathering people. Peeter Piirisild turned to the mayor of Narva with the request for bigger rooms. It was a miracle that the authorities

gave Piirisild the chance to choose between three houses that were going to be empty soon, the most suitable of which was the house at 4 Rakvere Street. By the consent of the church board and the local church council it was decided to accept the house. In May 1982 people who were given better lodging moved out of the building. At the end of the same year the permission was received from the authorities of Narva for rebuilding the house into a sanctuary. Only in May 1983 it became possible to start with the repairs, which lasted for about 3,5 years.

On 22 June 1986 bishop Ole E. Borgen consecrated the Rahu UMC in Narva at 4 Rakvere Street. This was the first church building in the Soviet times consecrated by the UM bishop for Northern Europe. Church services were conducted in Estonian, Finnish and Russian. At present mostly Russian speaking ministry is carried out there.


  1. Alfred Tõns 1924–1925
  2. Hjalmar Salmi (russian ministry) 1924–1925
  3. Jaan Sprenk (pastors dep.) 1933–1934
  4. Aleksei Poobus 1933–1936 (church opened officially in 06.10.1934)
  5. Eduard Hark 1936–1937
  6. Eduard Raud 1937–1938
  7. Jaan Puskay 1938–1939
  8. Konstantin Vipp 1939–1940 (started work in 16.09.1939)
  9. Johannes Kastan 1967–1968
  10. 1Kustav Roosaar 1968–1970
  11. Heino Laine 1970–1972
  12. Kustav Roosaar 1972–1974
  13. Peeter Piirisild (pastors dep.) 1974–1977
  14. Aleksander Truss (finnish ministry) 1976–1992
  15. Peeter Piirisild 1977–2005 estonian and russian ministry), 2005-2010 (estonian ministry)
  16. Vladimir Beregovoi (russian ministry) 2005 - 2010
  17. Erkki Sepp since 2010